|Steps are how to lose weight and be healthy.|
Over the years, we have been taught a lot of myths about losing weight and being healthy. Dr. Michael Roizen, Wellness Director for the Cleveland Clinic calls it BS - Bad Science.
Dr. Roizen had to come up with a wellness program for the 40,000 staff members of the Cleveland Clinic. It had to be a program that everyone could utilize and fit into their everyday lives. He says if you want to know how to lose weight and be healthy, all you have to do is move.
All these exercise guidelines about getting your heart rate up to 80% of it's maximum and sustaining that for 20 minutes three times a week are part of the BS - Bad Science - that Dr. Roizen identified.
"You have to move and the best way to move is to walk. 10,000 steps a day is your goal," said Roizen.
That is the target for people that are participating in the Cleveland Clinic's Let's Move It program.
Exercise is cumulative. If you do a little here and a little there, throughout the course of a day, you can be well on your way to improving your health and losing weight.
Of course, we can't live in a vacuum. You want to make healthier choices with your diet, too.
Over the last month, I made a conscious decision to eat very little fast food, replace a few meals with baked potatoes and salsa - no butter, drink more water, eat more fruit and yogurt and walk a bit more than I had been. For the month, I lost 12 lbs.
The changes were rather painless and I'm feeling better.
Adding more steps to your day is easy, if you give it a little thought. Here are some simple ways to work on getting in your 10,000 steps a day:
- Don't park as close as you can. Park farther away and force yourself to walk across the parking lot.
- Take the stairs when possible
- Get up every hour from your desk at work and walk around the floor or go up or down a couple floors using the stairs.
- During commercial breaks on TV, go out your front door and walk around the house. The more often you do this, the better you'll feel.
- Walk instead of driving. Are there things that are nearby that you might normally just hop in the car and run to? Make the short walk and benefit from the movement.
- Go mall walking. Instead of sitting around, walk around a mall. This works great in any kind of weather.
- Find parks to explore. Leisurely hiking can be so enjoyable and the fresh air will do you good.
- If you're more adventurous, seek out places with long sets of stair or steps. School stadiums are great for this. Hike up and down the stairs a few times. You'll start to build muscle mass in your legs, which aids in burning calories.
Forget about eating wheat grass, straining on one of those gym torture devices or lifting weights. You can do all of those things, but the first thing you have to do is move. And it can be as simple as adding more steps to your day. You can even purchase a pedometer that keeps track of the number of steps you take in a day. 10,000 is the goal.
I told you. It's a few simple steps. And that's how to lose weight and be healthy.
For more information on the Cleveland Clinic's Let's Move It program with tips on exercise, diet and more, visit www.LetsMoveIt.org.
How To Look Younger, Healthier and More Confident In Less Than A Minute
How To Sleep Better By Using A Relaxation Technique
San Francisco Bans McDonald's Happy Meal Toys
Best of My Funny Blog Posts
If you enjoyed this article, share it with friends using the buttons below. Bookmark this site. Comments are welcome.